The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Product Engineer opportunity you should have:
- A BSME/BMEE or qualifying experience.
- 8 to 10 years of professional experience.
- Solid product engineering experience, preferably in high volume, high tolerance manufacturing environments.
- Automotive industry experience is strongly preferred, and automotive interior experience would be ideal.
- Experience as a contributing member of a cross functional team in a matrix organization.
- The ability to apply formal technical problem solving techniques (8D, Kepner-Tregoe, Shanin Red X, Ishikawa/Fishbone, etc.).
- Knowledge of GD&T, DFSS and DFMEA creation is preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills (open issues lists, bill of materials, change tracking, deviation tracking, etc.).
- The ability to:
- Present information and convey messages in a manner appropriate for different levels in the internal, customer, partner and supplier organization.
- Handle multiple tasks with respect to critical path timing.
- Perform in a fast-paced environment where change is common.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative and independent thinking.
- Strong self-motivation.
- A track record of delivering on commitments.
The RoleReporting to the Engineering Program Manager, you will have a dotted line relationship with the Director of Special Projects and join a team that includes one other Product Engineer. The Detroit facility is a high-volume operation in which we assemble automotive interior components, primarily instrument panels and consoles.
You will take point on concurrent engineering, interfacing with customer and supplier teams to set objectives, deliver tools (process sheets, BOMs, etc.), solve problems, manage releases and inspire solutions. A new project launches about once a quarter, and you'll support each project for nine to ten months from initial concept to delivery to production.
While these percentages will vary, you'll invest the majority of your time in four areas:
- Reviewing supplier CAD data (about 35%).
- Handling open issues and general action items (25%).
- Assembling program BOMs (20%).
- DFMEA (20%).
- Drive the DMS point of view, protecting DMS required inputs (DFMEA, BOM, etc.) with respect to critical path timing.
- Ensure product features meet DMS assembly and manufacturing needs (DFM/A).
- Champion the DMS sign-off associated with customer key characteristics (e.g. DFMEA, Ford special characteristics communication and agreement form, or SCCAF), ensuring the quality of technical and product inputs to DMS.
- Follow up on design updates to ensure timely execution through the customer engineering release system.
- Participate in creating mockups of DMS requirements.
- Participate in customer design reviews and lead any DMS on-site or DMS initiated design reviews and corresponding slow builds.
- Manipulate CAD for DFM and DFA assessment as well as create simple views and sections to support manufacturing functions, such as the creation of work instructions.
- Partner with Quality to assess DMS product outputs to confirm conformance to customer requirements and expectations (key characteristics, test results, etc.).
- Drive changes to customer specification or DMS process, as required, to achieve compliance.
- Perform engineering analysis to prepare and present technical presentations to customers, management or peers to convey a technical message or achieve a required outcome.
What's in It for YouMake your mark
DMS has been leveraging the advanced product engineering expertise of Faurecia, a global leader in automotive equipment and key investor in the joint venture that launched our company. We're now ready to bring this function in house, and you will provide that expertise moving forward -- with ample resources to support you. We expect the function to grow as the company does, with you as a ground-floor member.
This is an exciting role in an entrepreneurial ecosystem in a dynamic and respectable company. You will expand your experience and skills, including working with emerging technology integrated into cockpit interiors. DMS is considering exploring markets beyond automotive, which will create new opportunities for proven players.
It's about making a difference
We opened our doors in 2012 with 50 people who shared a common vision to create manufacturing jobs in Detroit for the first time in decades, and to rebuild local communities to help drive the city's rebirth. Today, our 1,000 talented team members, mostly Detroit residents, are producing a million vehicle dashboards a year and turning their own dreams into sustainable opportunities for themselves and for many generations to come.
A positive career home
Detroit Manufacturing Systems is building a unique, world-class culture in which people can enjoy working and building their careers. We don't just care about the work, we care about the individuals doing the work and take steps to nurture the whole person via our healthy family atmosphere, employee growth and development programs, comprehensive benefits and so much more. DMS is a great place to make your career home.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer an outstanding benefits package. Our benefits include comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance programs; a 401(k) plan with company match that vests day one; flexible spending accounts; tuition assistance, even when the educational opportunity is not directly job-related; company-paid employee life insurance and short-term disability insurance; voluntary employee life insurance and long-term disability insurance; generous paid-time-off and more!
Video: Corp! Magazine interviews Andra Rush, CEO of Detroit Manufacturing Systems and owner of Rush Group, about what motivates her to leverage her entrepreneurial drive in transforming communities. As one of our colleagues puts it, Rush and DMS have turned a 'hood into a true neighborhood. Rush was honored by President Obama in his State of the Union address in January 2014, along with GM CEO Mary Barra, for demonstrating the "strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams."
Keys to SuccessPivotal to your success will be a strong understanding of the true value of a DFMEA -- you know it is much more than a box to check. You'll have respect for the reality that somebody is going to have to manufacture the part and shouldn't have to make up for design shortcomings.
DMS is a young, entrepreneurial company in growth mode. If you're the person we're looking for, you see the opportunities in that scenario. However, if you are most comfortable in a highly structured environment, this may not be the positions for you. You'll need to be flexible and bring your own discipline and structure.
In addition, we will expect you to develop and maintain:
- A thorough understanding of the product development tools and processes in the automotive industry.
- The ability to use the output of technical tools to persuade customers, partners and peers of the practical necessities of the product characteristics.
- An entrepreneurial spirit of owning outcomes, results and accountability.
- A drive and passion for continuous improvement in all aspects of work and, ideally, the ability to capture the imagination of others to galvanize them to the same sense of purpose.
- Clear and concise communication skills capable of blurring functional lines up-and-down the organization to bring people together across traditional boundaries.
- A commitment to being a well-organized, positive, fun and professional force comfortable as a hands-on, working-leader.
- An inclination to prioritize the optimization of the enterprise metrics ahead of functional group metrics.
- An open-minded and collaborative approach.
- Comfort taking bold actions while also seeking input and buy-in of key executives.
- The courage to decide, the wisdom to sense danger, the ability to prioritize and the fortitude to prevent being thrown off the scent of the critical path.
- The honest and forthright style of trustworthy colleague with unquestioned ethics and business integrity whose personal values, sense of dignity, reputation and style will ensure a successful near and long term career with the company.
- A reputation as a respected, valued team player -- a highly collegial, non-political, financially astute individual with good listening skills, and the ability to quickly adapt to, be accepted by, and interrelate with the organization at all levels.
About UsOur Mission
Create sustainable jobs and opportunities in the city of Detroit through automotive manufacturing excellence and people development.
DMS,formed in June 2012 through a joint venture between Rush Group Limited LLC and Faurecia, has brought anew, large-scale manufacturing facility to Detroit for the first time in decades and is helping to revitalize the city and the state of Michigan through significant job creation.
Since 2012, our workforce has grown from 50 to 1,000 strong.
Our team members build more than 1 million instrument panels a year (in fact, we built more than 1.5 million in 2015). By achieving best-in-class performance and profitability, DMS contributes to the health and sustainability of its team members, partners, suppliers and the community -- and we're working to create opportunity and prosperity for the next Seven Generations. Click on the image at right to see a larger view of our Seven Generations philosophy.
DMS majority partner Rush Group is 100 percent owned by Andra Rush, a Native American entrepreneur with 30 years of automotive industry experience. Ms. Rush serves as DMS CEO and president.
Andra Rush is the founder, chair, chief executive officer and president of Rush Group, which operates auto suppliers Dakkota Integrated Systems and Detroit Manufacturing Systems, along with Rush Trucking, a Corporation that is 100 percent owned by Ms. Rush and specializes in logistics, truckload, expedited and LTL transportation for the automotive industry. Rush Group is the largest woman-owned enterprise in Michigan and one of the largest Native American-owned businesses in the U.S.
Formed in 1997 and based in Nanterre, France, Faurecia ranks among the largest automotive suppliers in the world, delivering instrument panels, center consoles, cockpits, door panels, door modules and acoustic systems for global OEMs.